Site news

Picture of Carol Defehr
by Carol Defehr - Monday, 28 August 2017, 8:40 PM

Good evening Juniper Ridge Parents,

With one week to go, I hope you and your children have a lovely last week of holidays together.

I am honored to be the Principal of Juniper Ridge! Mrs. Decker, Mrs. Lloyd (VP) and myself are busy preparing for the first day of school. I am so impressed with the teaching staff who have also been spending time in their classrooms getting ready to welcome your children back on Tuesday September 5th. Your children are so fortunate to be educated by such a professional group of individuals.

On Tuesday September 5th- school commences at 10:30 am. Doors will open at 10:20 and children should report to their LAST YEAR'S Teacher's Classroom. With many new staff, we have moved some teacher's to new spaces. In my next email in the coming week, I will be very specific as to where our Gr. 1 students need to report as their last year's kindgarten teacher will be busy with welcoming our new K's on their gradual entry schedule. Also, I will inform parents where new classrooms are for those teachers that have made a summer room change. ALL NEW STUDENTS SHOULD REPORT TO THE LIBRARY for SEPT. 5th.

On Tuesday September 5th parents are welcome to attend our WELCOME BACK ASSEMBLY led by myself, Mrs. DeFehr.  I will be introducing my dynamic staff and reviewing some changes for the school year and reviewing my expectations for behaviour. Please join us at 11:00 am as we begin to load the gym. 11:15 will be the start of the assembly.  Class on the first day dismisses at 12:00 pm. Please make arrangements to have your children supervised upon dismissal at 12:00.  Your children will bring home the SEPTEMBER newsletter on the first day. I will also post it to the Juniper Ridge Website and I will be emailing it to all of you as well. It is filled with dates, information, upcoming events, a year at a glance calendar- it is long, but filled with lots of great and relevant information for the school year.  Please also enter the PIZZA with the PRINCIPAL draw that I do- if you read the newsletter, enter your child for a chance to have lunch with me! If they don't like pizza, they can still enter- just let me know they are not a pizza fan and what they may prefer. The Pizza with the Principal form will be at the back of the newsletter.

Wednesday September 6th the children will report to their last year's classroom teacher as well(except for Gr. 1's- we have a teacher in charge of their program as I mentioned above and they will have a room/teacher to report to on Wednesday). This is a full day of learning with school commencing at 8:30 am and dismissal at 2:30 pm.  Depending on enrollment and how Wednesday goes for attendance of our students, I will communicate with parents when we are able to move to the new divisions for 2017-2018. As with previous years, Juniper Ridge is such a desirable neighbourhood, we often see a huge influx of students that we must place and that can often change the class lists I temporarily have in order. You have my word, that I will move quickly and take action to place your children in the most efficient timeframe possible.

The September Newsletter has so much information in it I can't wait for you all to read it. That said, just a reminder that since Qu'Appelle Blvd has been redone, daycare vans and buses are not able to drop off at the front of the school and parents you can not park there either. That area is strictly for the City Transit bus to pull in and access. Daycares will be parked on the Nechako side of the school and will work with your children to have meeting spots to ensure they are joining their daycare provider's vehicle safely. Parents please do not use the strata complex as a thru way or turn around spot. We want to be good neighbours. A reminder that the STAFF PARKING LOT is off limits at all times for parents/daycares. We already do not have enough spots for staff in the lot so I kindly ask you not to pull into the staff parking lot at any time.

I am so excited to meet the families of Juniper. If you are someone who is on Twitter- please follow Juniper @juniperridge73 and if you are on Instagram please follow us @juniperridgeelementary

A reminder the first PAC Meeting for this year is Tuesday September 12 at 6 pm in the Juniper Library. We hope to see many of you there. These meetings are the PAC's, but as the principal I do attend and give a report, but I do not chair these meetings, nor am I able to vote. Please attend as we need all parents' input and opinions to make great choices for our children and our school.

I will be in touch again prior to the start of school. With one week to go, now is the time to reset bedtime routines, try to eat at approximate recess and lunch break times and of course enjoy every last minute of holidays.

Mrs. Carol DeFehr  (ps. Many are asking how to pronounce my name- the best way to tell your kids and for them to remember it- simply tell them I am "DA- FAIR" EST PRINCIPAL in all the LAND- I hope that helps!)