Site news

Parent's Weekly Update Oct. 2-6, 2017

Picture of Carol Defehr
Parent's Weekly Update Oct. 2-6, 2017
by Carol Defehr - Saturday, 30 September 2017, 11:24 AM

Hi Parents,

Happy Weekend to you all! Please find below the upcoming reminders for the first week of October. I also post this information on the website as well. Follow us on Twitter @juniperridge73 and on Instragram @juniperridgeelementary  I post some great pictures about the school!

Please go to adoptaschool.indigo.ca and find JUNIPER RIDGE and make a book donation! This fundraiser ends October 8 so time is running out! 134/433 books have been donated so far! Please help our library and get new exciting books into the hands of our students!

OCTOBER NEWSLETTER was emailed home on Friday to parents and is posted to the website. Please print and return PIZZA WITH THE PRINCIPAL forms for a chance to have lunch with me in October!

JUNIPER RIDGE SCHOOL SOCKTOBER FUNDRAISER is coming home Monday! $15 gets a pretty neat pair of custom socks for school spirit. They will make a great Christmas present if you want to keep it a secret we can do that too! Thanks for considering getting a pair.

Gr. 4 and 7 students will begin their ORIENTATION TO THE FSA EXAMS set out by the Ministry of Education.

VIRTUE OF THE WEEK: CARING

IT IS RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS WEEK! Encourage your children, like we will be, to do something nice for someone else without expecting anything in return.

Thank you  for your support at home- we are seeing LESS AGGRESSION out on the playground. Please remind your child that hands need to be used for helping never harming another student. We had the fewest amount of ACTION PLANS this week too which was exciting! The kids are making great choices and that makes me proud!

Thank you parents and students- we raised $667 for the TERRY FOX FOUNDATION! Thanks so much for your contributions. Lily was the lucky winner of the TERRY FOX SHIRT!

GR. 1 PARENTS- Please return your COME READ WITH ME INVITATION so we know who can attend. If you can not please try to find a grandparent or aunt or uncle. It is great for each Gr. 1 child to have a family member there to participate in the morning with them.

ONE TO ONE READING- Special thanks to Kirsti Koopmans our One to One Coordinator who is organizing support in reading for our primary students. If you can volunteer to read during the week please contact Kirsti at kirsti.koopmans@shaw.ca   This is a vital program to our school and we appreciate parents becoming involved.

Parents please note that our staffing is complete. Please join me in welcoming Jewel Marra as CEA, Kristi Veideman as CEA, Amy Head as Gr. 7 teacher and Nina Mercuri as our Tues AM Prep Teacher in Mrs. Unsworth and Mrs. Sandhu/Patterson's classes.

THIS WEEK:

TUESDAY OCT. 3- ASES CROSS COUNTRY RUN at Westsyde Centennial Park 3 pm. Thanks Drivers for coming at 2:15 so we can get organized.

THURSDAY OCT. 5- FRUIT AND VEGGIE PROGRAM and milk- MINI CUCUMBERS will be delivered.

FRIDAY OCT. 6- HILL/GATIEN's classes to the Pete Murray Pumpkin Patch all day

-Parents will receive TERM I OVERVIEWS from the classroom teachers. Please note some will post to their Weebly blogs and some will email them home. Please note I have personally read each overview  prior to it being sent to parents. I am extremely impressed with the professionalism of my staff and the planning they have done to ensure a successful and academic term for your children.

*Please note parents that Mrs. Lloyd and myself are out of the building on Thursday afternoon and all day Friday at Principal's Professional Development Oct. 5/6. Sherri Hoffer will be the Teacher in Charge on those two days. If needed, I am available via email and will check messages at the end of each day. I am giving a presentation on Technology so I am an active participant in the days and won't always be able to respond immediately.

Coming up next week at JUNIPER RIDGE:

VOLLEYBALL PERMISSION FORMS for those students on our teams will be coming home. Please sign and return and if you can help drive we would appreciate that too. We will be looking for REFS for home games. If you have a senior student that is interested in reffing please let Mrs. Grimm or Mrs. DeFehr know.

OCTOBER 8- LAST DAY OF THE CHAPTERS INDIGO ADOPT A SCHOOL Campaign.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING! No School on Monday Oct. 9

FSA ASSESSMENTS BEGIN OCT. 10 for Gr. 4 and 7 students. Please ensure your child is on time and well rested. Attendance is cruicial and students who miss exams will need to make up the components they missed so it is best if they come when the rest of the class is writing.

FIRE PREVENTION WEEK- This week is a great week to remember fire safety and of course practicing as a family how to respond in the event of a fire at your residence.

Oct. 10- COME READ WITH ME RSVP's Due for Gr. 1 Parents

Oct. 11- Dallas Cross Country run for Cross Country Team 3 pm

Oct. 13- Dufferin Billy Goat Run for Cross Counry Run Team 1:00pm

Thanks,

Mrs. DeFehr (One Proud Principal to 432 JRES kids)