Site news

Parent's Weekly Update Oct. 9-13, 2017

Picture of Carol Defehr
Parent's Weekly Update Oct. 9-13, 2017
by Carol Defehr - Saturday, 7 October 2017, 1:45 PM

Hi Parents,

A Happy Thanksgiving Weekend to you and your children. Enjoy the extra day together on Monday Oct. 9th.

Tomorrow OCTOBER 8 is the last day for the CHAPTERS ADOPT A SCHOOL CAMPAIGN. 142 books have been donated to Juniper- if you haven't donated and would like to please go to adoptaschool.indigo.ca and search for Juniper Ridge Elementary. We would love to reach 200 as our goal! Please help!

VIRTUE OF THE WEEK: INTEGRITY

We are starting to see a decrease in the amount of HANDS ON issues, but there is still lots of work to be done to ensure children are solving their problems with words only or seeking adult help. Please continue to re-iterate to your child that at no time at Juniper is using hands on acceptable. No student should ever come in contact with another student- that includes poking, pushing, shoving, grabbing, and of course punching. Upset or not, this is not how I expect children to treat others at our campus. Please continue to review this with your child, especially if they tend to be a 'handsy' type person or have a short fuse. We need to foster peaceful citizens for the future so they need to learn now that this conduct is  deemed assault later in life. Thanks for your support.

Please welcome Kori Midgley who has been hired as our Aboriginal Education Worker. Parents can expect to have their children receiving support and contact from Kori in the coming week as she learns her new role.

FOUNDATION SKILLS ASSESSMENTS continue for Gr. 4 and 7 students. Please ensure your child is on time and well rested this week and next.

PIZZA WITH THE PRINCIPAL FORMS- were at the end of the October Newsletter- parents should print one and return it by Oct. 17

FIRE PREVENTION WEEK is Oct. 9-13th! Return your FIRE CHIEF FOR  A DAY slip (primary students) and we will take it to a Fire Department to possibly earn this reward. Take time this week to review getting out of your home safely with your children.

JUNIPER RIDGE SCHOOL SOCK FUNDRAISER! Get your Jaguar Socks until Monday October 23! Thanks for all the orders so far! The kids are pretty jazzed about these coming in. They will make great Christmas presents too if you want to keep them a surprise.

Thanks also for supporting our JUNIPER RIDGE STICKER MACHINE! $1 has put a lot of smiles on a lot of kids' faces. Thanks for supporting the sticker machine as well.

Parents of VOLLEYBALL PLAYERS- please note the schedules for the league will come out this coming week and I will be sending home all the necessary paperwork with our players as soon as I get it organized for all 4 teams. All forms will be due back by Monday Oct. 16 at the latest.

CROSS COUNTRY RUN TEAM- Reminder you have your last two runs this week- Wed. at Dallas and Friday at Dufferin.

PAC HOT LUNCH ORDERS ARE DUE BY THURS. OCT. 12- Please go to MUNCH A LUNCH on the Juniper Ridge website to place your pizza lunch order for your child. The next PAC MEETING is coming up Monday Oct. 16. All parents are welcome to attend.

LEADERSHIP STUDENTS are trying to raise funds to pay for a WATER FILTRATION FOUNTAIN in our main hallway like Dallas Elementary had installed!  We are hoping PAC will match our fundraising efforts so that our students can have the best water to fill their water bottles. With the lead discovered in most schools last year, this water filtration system is something we think is really helpful!

Gr. 1 Parents- please remember to return your COME READ WITH ME RSVP's by Tuesday Oct. 10th

Mrs. Rein's Gr. 5/6 class head to the HEALTHY FORUM at TCC on Wednesday Oct. 11. Please be on time as they leave right after announcements. Return your permission form for this event if you haven't already.

Parents should have received a copy of the TERM 1 Overview from your child's teacher. If you haven't gotten it yet, Tuesday at the latest!

COMING UP NEXT WEEK: Virtue of Loyalty

FSA's Continue for Gr. 4 and 7 students

Volleyball League starts! Permission forms must be returned by Monday Oct. 16

COME READ WITH ME EVENT Monday Oct. 16 8:20-10:10

PAC MEETING Monday Oct. 16 6 pm

PIZZA with the Principal FORMS due Oct. 17

STOROZAK and TANNER/POWRIE's CLASSES to The Wildlife Park 9-12:30

PAC PIZZA HOT LUNCH is Thursday Oct. 19- We will all eat at 12:05 and we will all play together from 12:20-1:00 on this day only to accommodate the hot lunch.

BC EARTHQUAKE DRILL will be on Thurs. Oct. 19

FRIDAY OCTOBER 20 is a DISTRICT NON INSTRUCTIONAL DAY- no school for students. Teachers will be involved in professional development at the school.

A HUGE THANK YOU TO ALL PARENTS FOR RETURNING SCHOOL FEES and FORMS for 2017-2018! You have been my BEST SCHOOL in my career for returning these! WHAT AN AMAZING COMMUNITY I get to work in!

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter and Instragram!

Thanks to parents and caregivers for being so supportive.

Respectfully,

Mrs. DeFehr (Probably the most GRATEFUL Principal in all of SD73 this weekend because I get to lead Juniper Ridge Elementary)