Site news

Juniper Ridge's Parent Weekly Update Oct. 31-Nov. 3, 2017

Picture of Carol Defehr
Juniper Ridge's Parent Weekly Update Oct. 31-Nov. 3, 2017
by Carol Defehr - Saturday, 28 October 2017, 12:24 PM

Happy Weekend Parents,

Please find below the updates for the last week of October and start to November! November already! Time flies!

VIRTUE OF THE WEEK: CLEANLINESS

*We had just the best week at JUNIPER! Thank you for your follow through at home discussing compliance of teacher requests and keeping hands and feet to self.  There was a huge reduction in defiance and aggression this past week. It was amazing!

*HALLWEEN OCT. 31- Just a reminder that the school does a BLACK AND ORANGE SPIRIT DAY on Tuesday. Please send your child in the spirit!

*Kindergarten students will wear their costumes for a school wide COSTUME PARADE they will do starting at 8:45 am. They will tour to all the classrooms proudly showing off their costume. This is a tradition at Juniper. Parents of Kindergarten students are welcome to come line the hallways to see their child and their friends. Please make your way to the hallways in front of the library, office and staffroom to see them all!

*A reminder that I am asking that students refrain from bringing their Halloween Candy as part of their snack or lunches following Halloween. Large amounts of children (433 of them to be exact) plus large amounts of candy = a difficult week for all! We ask that Halloween candy be enjoyed at 2:45 when they are under your care.

*Upcoming Fundraisers to consider: Purdy's Holiday Fundraiser will come home this week. PAC will also be sending their Poinsettia Fundraiser order forms home as well. The children are working on ART CARDS right now and once we send their art in, parents will see a sample of their work and can order cards, puzzles etc...made by your child. This is also a fundrasier for our school. We know you can't do them all and don't expect parents to- we simply offer them as a way for parents to give back and support our school and receive something you may have thought of purchasing anyway for the upcoming season- chocolates, poinsettias and cards.

*Our Remembrance Day Assemby is Fri. Nov. 10 at 9am. I will be doing a first call to organize a COLOR GUARD for this event. If your child is in Sparks, Brownies, Beavers, Cubs, Guides or Cadets, I would invite them to wear their uniform on Nov. 10 and come to the practice sessions I will be having to carry in the Canadian Flag. Please speak with your child if this might interest them.

*CHOICE DAYS- Information will come home in the November newsletter regarding offering choices to children at lunch time. Space is an issue of course in our school with very few common areas, so I am also asking parents to think about helping run some outside structured play events during our winter months too. Sometimes just having an adult to organize snow activities is helpful. Depending on volunteer interest and the rooms I have available in the school, I would like to do something for those kids that struggle during winter months to enjoy their lunch breaks. OUTSIDE PLAY is always our #1 goal and it is possible you will always want your child to be outside and that is great too! Once I get interest from parents to assist and my staff, I will see if I can make it work.

*LEAVES- just to let parents know I will be speaking to the children about playing in the leaves on the school grounds. Different from your backyard, leaves at school actually pose a health and safety risk. Many dogs are on our property after hours even though district policy is no dogs EVER on school grounds. They do their business in the leaves at this time of year and dog owners do not pick it up. Also, our school every night has teenagers from the community who vandalize and often leave undersirables around our school. My fear is needles, condoms and cigarettes are hidden in the leaves and I do not want our children risking find these items by picking up piles of leaves.  When I was the principal  of Stuart Wood-  a dead body was actually find amongst the leaves one morning and this was very scary for the children. Since then I have taken precautions to ensure the children are not comprimsed. Please feel free to speak to your children about this information- I won't be giving them ALL the details, but just that the leaves can have hidden dangers. Usually the dog poo hidden is enough!

*BOOK FAIR is this week in the library! Please come support our school and literacy. Pick up some Christmas presents for your children! Children can be sent with money and will have time to purchase with Mrs. Gorman as well.

*PROPOSED CHRISTMAS CONCERT DATES- parents please take note of the following dates so you can plan ahead. We will have three concerts due to the size of our school. Intermediate Concert Thurs. Dec. 7/ K/1 on Tues. Dec. 12 and Gr. 2/3 on Thursday Dec. 14.

*JUNIPER RIDGE SPIRIT WEAR is available for purchase until FRI. NOV. 3 Samples and sizes are available in the main office. Please go to the Juniper Ridge Website under Munch a Lunch to place your order. They make great Christmas gifts!

*PARENT TEACHER INTERVIEW SIGN UP STARTS Nov. 1! We use PTCFAST.COM which is an online system for sign up. When the email comes be sure to sign up immediately to get a time slot that works for you. Should the Nov. 8 and 9 dates not work, please know you can contact the teachers for alternate times. Also, please know that it is not mandatory that you sign up if you feel you have already been in touch with the teacher plenty and feel it is not necessary to meet again at this time.

THIS WEEK at JUNIPER:

Mon. Oct. 30- Storozak and Powrie/Tanner's classes to the Pumpkin Patch / Library is being set up for the Book Fair

Tues. Oct. 31- Happy Halloween! Wear Black and Orange! K Costume Parade at 8:45. Primary Dance at 1:05-2:20 pm. BOOK FAIR BEGINS! Klassen and Rymer's classes to Falcon Lanes to go bowling.

Volleyball: TIER 1 BOYS travel to MSES and TIER 2 BOYS play at home.

NOVEMBER NEWSLETTER will be emailed to Families. Please enter the November PIZZA with the PRINCIPAL DRAW! Return Choice Days sheet.

Happy Safe Trick or Treating! Remember the Fireworks at the Juniper Ridge Park! Try to go to bed at a reasonable time!

Wed. Nov. 1- Halloween Candy stays at home. PTCFAST.COM goes live to parents to sign up for interview slots. Purdy's Order forms go home. PAC will be sending home their POINSETTIA order forms.

Thurs. Nov. 2- Gymnastics for Hill, Gatien and Marlatt's classes.

Volleyball: Tier 1 GIRLS play at home. Tier 2 GIRLS travel to OLPH.

Fri. Nov. 3- Last day to order SPIRIT WEAR! PAC HOT LUNCH DAY- SWISS CHALET! We will all eat at 12:05 and all play together today.  Hill and Gatien's classes go skating today. TIER 1 girls leave at lunch to play in Volleyball Tournament at TRU.

Coming up next week:

VIRTUE OF THE WEEK: COMPASSION

Mon. Nov. 6- PAC MEETING 6 pm in the library. All parents welcome and child minding is available.

Tues. Nov. 7- Gatien/Hill- Junior Ranger Presentation   Volleyball: Tier 1 Boys at LGES and Tier 2 Boys at KCS.

Wed. Nov. 8- Sport Wheelchairs arrive for PE Classes for next 2 weeks. Parent Teacher Interviews Day 1.

Thurs. Nov. 9- EARLY CLOSURE 12:30- please arrange for pick up for your child for 12:30 dismissal. Parent Teacher Interviews Day 2/ Fruit and Veggie Program Spartan Apples.  Gymnastics: Hill, Gatien and Marlatt's classes.  Volleyball- TIER 1 GIrls at KSA and TIER 2 Girls at DT.

Fri. Nov. 10- Remembrance Day Assembly 2017 at 9 am. All parents welcome. Class performances from Storozak, Swift, Heads's classes. Chair of the Board of Education Meghan Wade will be present as with other dignitaries.  WEAR BLACK AND RED. Bring a donation for a poppy. 

SKATING- GRIMM and REIN/STOCKERMANS' classes 1-2:30

TIER 2 Girls leaving at lunch for Volleyball tournament at OLPH.

Parents please have returned your thoughts on CHOICE DAY by Nov. 10.

A REMINDER THERE IS NO SCHOOL ON MONDAY NOV. 13 for Remembrance Day falling on Saturday this year.

Thank you parents. Thanks to all of you that came to our October Recognition Assembly! It was standing room only!

Respectfully,

Mrs. DeFehr (One Proud Principal to a bunch of Super Star Students!)