Site news

Parent's Weekly Update January 8-12, 2018

Picture of Carol Defehr
Parent's Weekly Update January 8-12, 2018
by Carol Defehr - Friday, 5 January 2018, 7:24 PM

Hi Juniper Ridge Families,

I am posting the update for the week here as MYEDBC is unavailable until Monday January 8th at 7 am. I am sorry for this inconvenience. The January Newsletter for 2018 will also be posted for you to access on the website as well. I am hoping to Synrevoice families to let them know of this inconvenience.

Welcome Back and HAPPY NEW YEAR! I hope you have a great last weekend of holidays with your children.

VIRTUE OF THE WEEK: RELIABILITY (please talk to your child about what it means to be reliable. As a school we will discuss it as well each day on announcements)

Please send your child to school with INSIDE SHOES and GYMSTRIP(intermediate). I also like to encourage a pair of extra socks and pants. Please dress your child for the weather.

Please review our ROARS expectations with your child. Respect for staff's requests and using their words to solve their problems is appreciated. Using hands on behaviour is not acceptable. Staff will also be reviewing our Code of Conduct upon the children's return from the holidays. Snow needs to stay on the ground and sledding rules must be followed. Please remind your children of that as well.

As soon as I can email in MYEDBC I will send home the JANUARY NEWSLETTER. Included in the newsletter are lots of important dates, plus the PIZZA with the PRINCIPAL entry form for January. Please print it and return it to the bin by the main entrance. Also included is the CHOICE DAYS schedule- should your child want options for lunch time please show them the CHOICE DAYS schedule. I am excited to have options for the children who don't always love the cold and the snow.

We are welcoming back Mrs. Donna Rein who has been off due to a knee surgery. Also returning from her Maternity Leave is Mrs. Lesley Waters. She is the continuing teacher in our annex  portable with our Gr. 7's.

I am pleased to let parents know that our Aboriginal Education Worker has been hired for Juniper. Daryl Laboucane will start the week of January 15th. We are excited that Culture Club will start for Primary and Intermediate students and that our Aboriginal students will get  supported.

The next PAC Meeting is Monday JANUARY 15th at 6 pm. All parents are welcome. The next PAC  HOT LUNCH is Thurs. Jan. 18- PIZZA. If you have not entered all your lunch purchases into MUNCH A LUNCH- I would encourage you to do that ASAP.

A reminder that  every Friday is JUNIPER RIDGE SPIRIT WEAR DAY! Send your child in all their Juniper Ridge swag!

TERM TWO Overviews will be sent to parents on or before January 18th. By sending parents the intended learning outcomes for the term, it allows parents to support concepts being taught.

BASKETBALL UPDATE: GIRLS- team for TIER 1 and 2 were posted on the Friday before the break. If your daughter does not know which team she is on she should check the athletics board first thing Monday morning.  Practices this week for the girls are as follows:

TIER 1 GIRLS practices with Chris Orr and Ross Mon. Jan. 8 4:15/ Tues. Jan. 9 at 7 am/ Wed. Jan. 10 at 4:15

TIER 2 GIRLS practice with Chris Owen and Mindy  Mon. Jan. 8 2:45

BOYS- We are still in the process of selecting our members for our three teams. Parents should be aware that we have way more boys than we can fit on our three teams. We will need to make cuts this week and we are sorry to have to do this. There is just no way to fit all interested boys onto the three teams. Boys practices are as follows this week:

Any boys trying out for a TIER 1 spot with Matt/Josh have practice Monday Jan. 8 at 7 am. Matt/Josh will determine who is on this team after this 7 am practice. Matt/Josh's team will also practice Thurs. Jan. 11 at 7 am.  Those boys that do not make Matt/Josh's team are invited to try out for TIER 2 with Tasha, Deb, Sunny and Kris.  All boys trying out for TIER 2 need  to attend practices Monday Jan. 8 at 12:05 and Tuesday Jan. 9th at 2:45. After Tuesday's try outs, coaches will advise the boys if they should attend Sunny/Kris' 7 am practice on Wed. Jan. 10 or Tasha/Deb's practice on Wed. Jan. 10 at 2:45. Sunny/Kris may also be having practices on Thurs. Jan. 11 at 2:45 and Friday Jan. 12 at 2:45.  Once the teams have been set- the practice schedule will be sent home with all players. Once the league schedule is determined by Sports Council- the schedule for games, permission slips and player/parent code of conduct will also be sent home.

GR. 4 BASKETBALL CLINIC starts FRIDAY JANUARY 19th at 7:30 am with Mr. and Mrs. Grimm.

GR. 4 and 7 Parents can be expecting the FSA results to come home Mon. Jan. 8 or Tues. Jan. 9 from the classroom teacher. Please look for a package that includes a letter from myself, a results sheet and the actual booklet your child  completed the questions in.

A reminder to families in STOROZAK AND STONEHOUSE classes that you are going SKATING at the Sandman Centre on Friday Jan. 12 9:30-10:30 am.

DOGS: Dogs  are not permitted on the school grounds or inside the school building. Your dog must remain on the outside of the perimeter of the school fence line and at no time can you bring it inside the school. This is School District Policy.

ANTI IDLING: I would also ask that your vehicle is turned off as soon as you reach the school as our destination. There is ANTI IDLING policy and parents are not to run their vehicles as they drop off or wait to pick up. Thank you for your help with this. Thank you parents for staying out of the STAFF PARKING LOT as well. With such a large staff we need to ensure those parking spots are for staff that come and go and start at different times in the day.

MOTHER GOOSE PROGRAM- begins Thurs. Jan. 11 from 3-4 in our library for those families that registered.

REPORT CARD ENVELOPES- If you have not returned your brown report card envelope please be sure to do this asap as we need all the envelopes back for TERM II.

HEAP THE HONDA! January is Literacy Month! We are asking parents of Juniper to send in any unwanted books from your child's bookshelves to go towards this great Community Event! Please send the books to Mrs. Gorman in the library.

Thanks so much,

Mrs. DeFehr (One Proud Principal of all Juniper Ridge Kids that she missed the last 2 weeks!)