Site news

HAPPY NEW YEAR JUNIPER! 2018-2019 will be great!

Picture of Carol Defehr
HAPPY NEW YEAR JUNIPER! 2018-2019 will be great!
by Carol Defehr - Saturday, 1 September 2018, 9:16 AM

Good morning Juniper Ridge Parents,

I hope you and your children had a wonderful holiday together.

I am looking forward to my second year as the Principal of the school. I am grateful to be your school leader.

On Tuesday September 4th- school commences at 10:30 am. Doors will open at 10:20 and children should report to their LAST YEAR'S Teacher's Classroom. With many new staff, we have moved some teacher's to new spaces. In my next email communication to follow, I will be very specific as to where some children need to report as some teachers have moved classrooms over the summer.  ALL NEW STUDENTS SHOULD REPORT TO THE LIBRARY for SEPT. 4th.

A REMINDER THAT OUR NEW KINDERGARTEN STUDENTS do not attend school on Tues. Sept. 4th. They have all been given a gradual entry schedule and will follow that schedule for their assigned school times.

On Tuesday September 4th parents are welcome to attend our WELCOME BACK ASSEMBLY.  I will be introducing my dynamic staff and reviewing some changes for the school year and reviewing our expectations for behaviour. Please join us at 11:00 am as we begin to load the gym. 11:15 will be the start of the assembly.  Class on the first day dismisses at 12:00 pm. Please make arrangements to have your children supervised upon dismissal at 12:00.  Your children will bring home the SEPTEMBER newsletter on the first day. I will also post it to the Juniper Ridge Website and I will be emailing it to all of you as well. It is filled with dates, information, upcoming events, a year at a glance calendar- it is long, but filled with lots of great and relevant information for the school year.  Please also enter the PIZZA with the PRINCIPAL draw that I do- if you read the newsletter, enter your child for a chance to have lunch with me! If they don't like pizza, they can still enter- just let me know they are not a pizza fan and what they may prefer. The Pizza with the Principal form will be at the back of the newsletter.

Wednesday September 5th the children will report to their last year's classroom teacher as well(except for Gr. 1's- we have a teacher in charge of their program and they will have a room/teacher to report to on Wednesday as K teachers will be starting their schedules with this year's K's). This is a full day of learning with school commencing at 8:30 am and dismissal at 2:30 pm.  Depending on enrollment and how Wednesday goes for attendance of our students, I will communicate with parents when we are able to move to the new divisions for 2018-2019. This year I will be trying a PLACEMENT LETTER format.This means your child will come home with their new teacher's name and room number on the eve of when we can start in new divisions. As with previous years, Juniper Ridge is such a desirable neighbourhood, we often see a huge influx of students that we must place and that can often change the class lists I temporarily have in order. You have my word, that I will move quickly and take action to place your children in the most efficient time frame possible.

The September Newsletter has so much information in it I can't wait for you all to read it. A reminder to parents about parking: Parents please do not use the strata complex as a thru way or turn around spot. We want to be good neighbours. A reminder that the STAFF PARKING LOT is off limits at all times for parents/daycares. We already do not have enough spots for staff in the lot so I kindly ask you not to pull into the staff parking lot at any time.

If you are someone who is on Twitter- please follow Juniper @juniperridge73 and if you are on Instagram please follow us @juniperridgeelementary

A reminder the first PAC Meeting for this year is Monday September 17th at 6 pm in the Juniper Library. We hope to see many of you there. These meetings are the PAC's, but as the principal I do attend and give a report, but I do not chair these meetings, nor am I able to vote. Please attend as we need all parents' input and opinions to make great choices for our children and our school.

We now have 3 C Can Storage units on the playground. Please assist us in informing your child that at no time can they climb on top of them. With your help, I am hopeful we can minimize the temptation to sit on them. I also asked for a paved pathway to the playground and it is complete! It looks great. Students will also see a painted circle outside and  pavement games to play.

I am so looking forward to seeing everyone!

Respectfully,

Mrs. Carol DeFehr  (The happiest principal in SD73 because I get to work, play and learn in the Juniper Ridge Community)