What a great first week back we had with your children! Thank you so much for your support as we transition back to school life from our summer routines. Thanks to many of you that sent such lovely emails complimenting myself and my staff for the start up.
Each weekend I send an update to parents so that you have a reference of upcoming events and actions needed for the week. I also give you a glance at the following week as well.
Our September Growth Mindset Theme is: "Everyone Can Learn" and we are reinforcing the idea to #alwaystry
Please note that we have a staff member that has a life threatening allergy to all dogs. As per City of Kamloops BYLAW 34-42 (Division 7)Dog Responsibility and Control- no dogs are permitted in public schools. This is on our school grounds or inside our building. The school district also enforces that dogs are kept away from our children as well with signs at our entrances reminding community and parents not to bring dogs on our site. Due to the severity of the allergy of this staff member I ask that you spread the word that you must wait outside the school fence with your leashed dog and have your child greet you there. I am grateful we have the dog park in Juniper so you and your pet can get their exercise there. The children were all told this at our Welcome Back Assembly so they are informed that their pet will not be coming to the school further. Thanks for your help.
Parents of students with medical considerations please ensure we have 2 epi pens at school and that you have contacted Mrs. Decker regarding your child and their circumstances. Our entire staff gets annual training for Anaphylaxis to ensure the safety of all.
Here are your reminders for this week:
1. All forms and fees that were sent home to you are due back by Monday Sept. 24th. Thanks to all of you that did that so promptly this week!
2. Cross Country Run Team had their first meeting on Friday. Gr. 4-7 are encouraged to listen to announcements for their first practice and permission forms will be coming home this week. We will need lots of parent drivers to assist us so please complete that section of the permission form for us.
3. Our first PAC MEETING is Monday Sept. 17 at 6 pm in the library. Childminding is offered so please bring your children if needed. We hope to see lots of new faces. Our executive is already making plans for the year. I also share a report as principal at each meeting and I know parents find that informative.Come be a part of our Juniper Ridge family!
Please support the PAC by selling BIG LITTLE COUPON BOOKS! This is their first fundraiser of the year and all funds come back to our classrooms!
4. We were selected again as a CHAPTERS INDIGO ADOPT A SCHOOL! I could not be more thrilled! Between Sept. 15 and Oct. 7 please consider making a donation by going to adoptaschool.indigo.ca and selecting Juniper Ridge! Our hope is to obtain 450 new books for our school during the campaign! A huge thank you from Mrs. Gorman, our Teacher Librarian and myself. (see attached letter)
5. On Monday Sept. 10 those students with Indigenous ancestory will get their Aboriginal Consent letters. Parents please sign and return those by Fri. Sept. 28th. Mr. Laboucan can not wait to work with all of our students.
6. We have our second firedrill on Thursday Sept. 13. Our first one was AMAZING! With almost 500 people to safely exit the building we did this in a time of 4 min. 24 seconds which is unreal! I was elated! Please remind your child that there is absolutely no talking during a firedrill. This is our goal area.
7. Pizza with the Principal forms (at the end of the newsletter sent home Tuesday) are due back Friday Sept. 14. SO many kids have entered already! My heart is full that so many want to have lunch with me!
8. Our Kindergarten students remain on their Gradual Entry Schedule for Monday and Tuesday this week. On Tuesday when they leave their am or pm session they will come home with a class placement letter letting you know who their classroom teacher will be for the 2018-2019 school year. On Wednesday Sept. 12 Kindergartens begin their 8:30-2:30 school day. We have 74 K's in this year's cohort (the largest in the district!)
COMING UP NEXT WEEK SEPT. 17-21
Mon. Sept. 17- PAC MEETING 6 pm
Wed. Sept. 19- FIRST LOCKDOWN PRACTICE, Fruit and Veggie Program- PEACHES, OLPH CROSS COUNTRY RUN! at MAC ISLAND afterschool
Fri. Sept. 21- NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS- District Non Instructional Day
Sat. Sept. 22- JUNIPER RIDGE COMMUNITY BLOCK PARTY! Join the fun!
Mrs. Carol DeFehr (The proudest principal to the largest elementary school in the district with 20 Divisions!)