Site news

Parent's Weekly Update Sept. 24-28, 2018

Picture of Carol Defehr
Parent's Weekly Update Sept. 24-28, 2018
by Carol Defehr - Saturday, 22 September 2018, 9:02 AM

Hi Parents,

Happy Weekend! Here are your updates for the events happening at Juniper this coming week. I have attached some information as well.

Please consider donating at adoptaschool.indigo.ca for the CHAPTERS INDIGO ADOPT A SCHOOL CAMPAIGN! The letter with the information is attached for you. Thank you to those that have donated! So far JRES Parents have donated 62 books! Our goal is 440!

PAC Update: Big Little Coupon Books due back Tues. Sept. 25th please. Thanks to the PAC that approved $1000 to be used for me to purchase new outside playground equipment. The order I placed arrived yesterday so there will be lots of new, bright and fun equipment for our students. PAC Munch A Lunch Hot Lunch Orders must be placed by Oct. 4. First Hot Lunch is Pizza on Oct. 11.

Parents- attached is the information for the Raising Digitally Responsible Citizens taking place Wed. Sept. 26 at 6:30 pm at the HGEC. If you can make it- it is fabulous.

This week our Gr. 4 and 7 students begin their orientation and writing of the FSA's. Thanks for ensuring your children are ontime and well rested.

I am just informing parents that I am absent Mon, Tues and Wed. mornings this week. I am involved in District initiatives that require planning  in their exectution. I will return by approximately 11 am each day. Mrs. Lloyd our VP is available should you have a concern so please be sure to ask for her or send me an email cdefehr@sd73.bc.ca and I will respond just as soon as I can.

Monday Sept. 24- We will be having our third firedrill practice. Pizza with the Principal Lunch for the 4 lucky winners happens at 12:05!

*ALL SCHOOL FEES and FORMS due back to Mrs. Decker in the office by today please.

Tuesday Sept. 25- SMILE- School Photo Day!

We will be hosting the MOTHER GOOSE Program for toddlers starting OCT. 10- NOV. 28. Registration Opens Sept. 25 at www.eventbrite.ca 

Wednesday Sept. 26- RAISE A READER DAY! Please send a donation for Literacy with your child. Parents if you can help Mrs. Lloyd sell newspapers from 8-8:30 please send her an email wlloyd@sd73.bc.ca

We are moving our ORANGE SHIRT DAY to Wed. Sept. 26 as the author of the book "The Orange Shirt Story" is visiting our school. We have an assembly planned for 9 am. Parents welcome. We are pleased Phyliss Webstad will be joining us for the morning.  PLEASE dress your child in orange!

Grade One Parents will get their Come Read with Me Invitations today. Thank you to our PAC for sponsoring this event and paying for the facilitator and the reading materials your child will receive. Please rsvp by Oct. 10th.

Thursday Sept. 27- TERRY FOX RUN! Please send a donation for TERRY! We are extending the route this year and hope the kids will love a change in scenery!  Primary students run on our intermediate field.

Friday Sept. 28- Aboriginal Consent Letters due back to the office please if your child would like programming and services.

The October newsletter will be sent home to parents at the end of the week so we are all informed for Monday October 1! This will come to you via email. I wrote a lot about Math and GrowthMindset this month and share some tips for parents.

Coming up next week: OCTOBER Growth Mindset Theme: A Brain is like a Muscle that Grows

Oct. 1- Anaphylaxis Training at 2:45 for our staff in the library. All noon hour supervisors are encouraged to attend as well.

PAC Meeting 6:15 pm. All parents are welcome.

Oct. 2- Arthur Stevenson Cross Country Run at Westsyde Centennial Park

Oct. 2- Junior Ranger Program begins at our school. The presenter will be here for three days to visit all classes that signed up.

Oct. 3- Fruit and Veggie Program is Carrots this week. We have our second LOCKDOWN Practice today.

Oct. 4- PAC Hot Lunch Orders due. Cross Country Run team travels to Raft River for the Dan Coleman event- they will travel by bus paid for by the district to attend.

Oct. 5- All parents should have received a copy of the TERM I Overview with the Intended Learning Outcomes for  this term by today. We hope you will take time to read them and see all the planning each teacher does for the learning of our students.

Both Mrs. Lloyd and I are out of the school on Oct. 4 and Oct. 5 at  Principal's Professional Learning sessions and meetings. Again, please email me if you have any concerns. Teachers will be communicating any discipline matters directly with parents for those days if needed.

Oct. 7- Last day for the Chapters Indigo Adopt A School Campaign! Please donate.

We have seen a lot of toys being brought from home. Please talk to your child about leaving those at home. It is possible they will get lost or broken at school and it becomes a huge disappointment. At no  time can toys be brought into our classrooms. They will be taken away by the teacher for the day.  If you do send your child with toys for outside they must stay in the child's locker. The toys are keeping many children occupied outside but they are causing some hurt feelings because others don't have them, people don't want to share their toy (and I get that!) and then they lend the toy and it gets broken. So.....my ask is that you talk to your child about possibly leaving those items at home. With all the new equipment for outside our goal is to have children active at break times to self regulate.

Thank you so much! September has been just a remarkable month at Juniper. The tone, the climate, the culture established is one to be celebrated. Thank you parents for sending us your wonderful, keen and respectful children each day. They are embracing our school Code of Conduct R.O.A.R.S and are skillfully using W.I.T.S. to solve disagreements.

Respectfully,

Mrs. C. DeFehr (Da' Fair' est Principal in SD73)