Site news

Juniper Ridge Parent's Weekly Update Oct. 8-12, 2018

Picture of Carol Defehr
Juniper Ridge Parent's Weekly Update Oct. 8-12, 2018
by Carol Defehr - Saturday, 6 October 2018, 12:11 PM

Happy Long Weekend and Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

OCTOBER GROWTH MINDSET THEME: My Brain is Like a Muscle that Grows! Please keep reminding students of this when tasks are hard- it means their brain is growing like a muscle!

CHAPTERS ADOPT A SCHOOL- IT ALL ENDS SUNDAY OCTOBER 7th! We are at 149 books and I would love to at least reach 50% of our goal(436) and at least have 200 BOOKS DONATED! Please go to adoptaschool.indigo.ca and find Juniper Ridge Elementary!

Gr. 6/7 PARENTS- please see the ATTACHED BAND-TASTIC opportunity for your child! What an opportunity to get them playing an instrument!

PAC UPDATE: The PAC is holding a special PAC MEETING on Tues. Oct. 9 at 8:30 am in the staffroom. They have some upcoming budget request items that are time sensitive and need to meet to discuss and vote on them. If you can make it- they would love to have lots of parent representation.

PAC SPIRIT WEAR ORDERS- Due October 15. You can order on the MUNCH A LUNCH APP! They make great Christmas presents! We also have spirit day every Friday so we love seeing kids show their school pride! The t-shirts are also helpful if your child plays sports for our school- they can wear their own shirt and not have to wear someone else's smelly one~ especially during Track season when we are always short on jerseys.

PAC PIZZA HOT LUNCH is Thurs. Oct. 11. We all eat at 12:05 and then all play together 12:20-1:00.

Thank you to PAC as well who approved the purchase of 2 BUDDY BENCHES for our playground. The premise behind the Buddy Bench is that those without a friend to play with at recess and lunch can sit on the bench and other children will then offer that child a chance to play with them rather than being alone. Our hope is to foster inclusion.

VOLLEYBALL UPDATE: Permisson forms and packages will come home with the players on Tuesday. I am organizing them all this weekend. Forms and fees are due back by Friday Oct. 12. League play begins the week of Oct. 15.  If anyone knows anyone willing to ref our HOME GAMES I would be so grateful!

Reminder NO SCHOOL on Monday Oct. 8- Enjoy the extra day with your children. We will see everyone Tuesday Oct. 9 at 8:20 am.

OCT. 8-12 is FIRE PREVENTION WEEK- please review a plan with your family to exit your home if fire ever struck. We would love for families to have this frank conversation about what it looks like so that everyone gets out safely.

RETURN PIZZA WITH THE PRINCIPAL FORMS by Fri. Oct. 12! The form was at the back of the October newsletter!

GRADE 1 Parents- Please return your RSVP for COME READ WITH ME EVENT by Oct. 10. Thanks to our wonderful PAC for paying the cost of the facilitator and materials for the students. The PAC have even gone so far as to provide the snacks for this event as well.

MOTHER GOOSE SESSION starts Wed. Oct. 10 from 3-4 pm in our library

CROSS COUNTRY RUN TEAM- Last run of the season is Wed. Oct. 10 at Dallas Elementary

YPC PERMISSION FORMS for Gr. 4-7 Please return asap.

LEADERSHIP CAMPAIGN- SOCKTOBER! Parents if you are out and about, please pick up a new pair of socks! Our Leadership students will be kicking off SOCKTOBER very soon and our hope is that we can collect 436 pairs of socks for those in need this winter!

COMING UP NEXT WEEK:

WASTE REDUCTION WEEK: LItterless lunches all week please!

Tues. Oct. 16- SALMON RUN Gr. 1-7 Please ensure permission slips are returned to the classroom teacher.

Parent Teacher Interview sign up will start on Tues. Oct. 16. We use a system called PTC FAST.COM and you will be emailed a link to select a time with your classroom teacher.

Wed. Oct. 17- COME READ WITH ME EVENT- Gr. 1 parents 8:20 in the library

Thurs. Oct. 18- SPIRIT DAY- WEAR PURPLE to foster the premise of #acceptanceforall, inclusion and diversity.

GREAT BC EARTHQUAKE SHAKEOUT- We will be having an earthquake drill today as part of the provincial program.

PAC HOT LUNCH DAY- Swiss Chalet. All eat at 12:05

Friday Oct. 19- NON INSTRUCTIONAL DAY- NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS.

Sat. Oct. 20- JUNIPER RIDGE ELEMENTARY IS A POLLING STATION FOR THE ELECTION. Come VOTE at the JUNIPER RIDGE GYMNASIUM.

WIth thanks,

Mrs. Carol DeFehr (One extremely grateful principal this Thanksgiving to work in the Juniper Community with all of your children and yourselves!)