Site news

JUNIPER RIDGE PARENT WEEKLY UPDATE Nov. 5-9th, 2018

Picture of Carol Defehr
JUNIPER RIDGE PARENT WEEKLY UPDATE Nov. 5-9th, 2018
by Carol Defehr - Saturday, 3 November 2018, 1:23 PM

Hi Parents,

Happy Time Change Weekend. Please find below the reminders for this week and a glance at the following week as well for your planning.

Attached this weekend is some great tips on why Failure is important. I especially love the 7 Ways to Teach Kids that Failure is a Great Thing. #alwaystry

NOVEMBER GROWTH MINDSET THEME: I am a valued member of this learning community.

November is CANADA CAREER MONTH! The theme is #iknowicanbecause and you may see some students talking more about their skills and future aspirations because of this campaign being promoted in our school district.

The November Newsletter was emailed home this week. Please print off the Pizza with the Principal Forms and return to the yellow bin by the main doors. Also, if interested in supporting us with Choice Days for winter months please send the Tear A Way slip that was in the newsetter to the office by Nov. 14th.

PLEASE SEND A DONATION FOR POPPIES THIS WEEK. We pass along any funds we collect to the Royal Canadian Legion. All children will be given a poppy to wear on Friday.

Parents, I have started a new Principal recognition campaign called My Principal is Proud of Me. There is a large sign that will travel throughout the community and potentially end up in your front yard. If you arrive home or wake up with the sign at your residence, all I ask is that you return the sign to the school once your kids have seen it so I can continue to pass it along to deserving children. If the sign is at your home for the weekend could I ask that parents bring it in at night and put it back out Saturday/Sunday morning. I have my fingers crossed teenagers won't destroy it. I wish I had 440 of them, but for now, the sign will take turns surprising kids each night Mon-Fri.

PAC UPDATE: Our November Meeting is Mon. Nov. 5th at 6:15 in the library. Childminding is available. We have a guest speaker on Monday. Vessy Mochikas, District Principal of Inclusive Education will be coming to speak and answer questions. JRES SPIRIT WEAR has arrived and will be sorted and delivered to students on Monday. IF YOU ORDERED CHRISTMAS PRESENTS AND DO NOT WANT YOUR CHILD TO RECEIVE THE CLOTHING ORDER- please email JEN DAVIS at jrelementarypac@gmail.com and let her know you will be picking it up at the office. PAC HOT LUNCH THIS WEEK IS THURS. NOV. 8- PIZZA DAY!

Our PBIS ROARS WATER CHALLENGE WEEKS BEGINS Mon. Nov. 5! Students will be expected to show their ROARS behaviour and if they do the class will get to fill up a container with water and add their amount to our SCHOOL WATER TANK in the office. If the school fills the tank each week they will earn a special reward. Our concentrated areas of focus are hallways, tidy spaces, assembly behaviour, whole body listening and safe play outside. It is going to be exciting!

Thank you parents that donated to CHAPTER ADOPT A SCHOOL during that campaign. $1900.00 was raised for Mrs. Gorman and I to support our school with literacy and digital literacy needs in our building. AMAZING! Thank you. Additionally, Mrs. Gorman and I receive 30% off purchases at Chapters!

Mon. Nov. 5- PAC MEETING 6:15 pm

Tues. Nov. 6- Mrs. Hrycan's class to the Art Gallery 9:30-12, Tier 1 Boys Volleyball at Beattie

Wed. Nov. 7- Fruit and Veggie Program delivery is Pears. Gr. 6 Immunizations- please ensure your Gr. 6 student is on time as they begin at 8:30. Aboriginal Connections Dinner in the gym at 4:30 pm~ we have 67 people attending this dinner! Mother Goose 3-4 pm in the library. Tier 3 Volleyball game is now at SOUTH SAHALI this week- not at home as per the original schedule as we needed the gym for the dinner.

Thurs. Nov. 8- PAC HOT LUNCH 12:05- we all eat together and then all play at 12:20.  Tier 1 Girls Volleyball at HOME! Tier 2 girls travel to St. Ann's.

Fri. Nov. 9- REMEMBRANCE DAY ASSEMBLY 9 am. All parents welcome. Many classes are performing.  Please send your child in WHITE, RED OR BLACK.  Mrs. Murray and Mrs. Waters classes go skating at VV Arena at 1:15.

COMING UP NEXT WEEK:

ROARS WATER CHALLENGE WEEK #2

Last Week of Volleyball League Play. Playoffs will then follow.

No School Mon. Nov. 12- JRES closed.

Tues. Nov. 13- Our JRES ANNUAL PURDY's FUNDRAISER BEGINS. Order booklets will be sent home and all orders and payment due back Mon. Nov. 26th.  Tier 1 Boys play at PAC WAY for VBall.

Wed. Nov. 14- PARENT CHOICE DAYS VOLUNTEER FORMS DUE. Mother Goose 3-4 pm. Tier 3 Volleyball at Summit.

Thurs. Nov. 15- PAC HOT LUNCH- Swiss Chalet. Project Edge for Gr. 6's 9 am with RCMP and Blazers. Tier 1 girls play at HOME, Tier 2 Girls travel to Aberdeen.

Fri. Nov. 16- KINDERGARTEN PARENTS need to return their YOU CAN COUNT ON ME RSVP's by today. Pizza with the Principal forms due for November. GRINCH MOVIE for Mulholland, Champness, Hrycan, Weatherall and Storozak's classes 11:15.

Thank you parents for sending your children to Juniper Ridge! It is a great place to work, learn and play as both students and staff.

To see what happens in our school be sure to follow Juniper Ridge on Instagram. Search juniperridgeelementary

Respectfully,

Mrs. DeFehr (ONE VERY PROUD PRINCIPAL of ALL OF YOUR CHILDREN! I so enjoy each and everyone of them.)